The Staff Selection Committee (SSC) conducts the exam for the post of Stenographer annually. The SSC conducts exams to recruit staff for various ministries in India. The exam is conducted in two phases- The written and the skill test. The examination is competitive, as many candidates appear for it every year.
With BYJU’S Exam Prep study materials and multiple mock exams, a candidate can prepare for the SSC Stenographer exam properly and do well in the exam. The candidates can get access to study notes, and multiple practice question papers that would help them in their preparation for the exam.
Exam Pattern of the SSC Stenographer Exam
Before preparing for the SSC Stenographer, the candidates should understand the SSC Stenographer exam pattern and the books so that they can prepare accordingly.
The SSC Stenographer exam is conducted in two phases, such as:
- Written round- It is a 2-hour Computer-based test with 200 objective questions on subjects General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness, and English language & comprehension. The time is 2 hours 40 minutes for candidates using scribe. The detailed syllabus is available on the official website of SSC.
- Skill Test- The qualified candidates from the written test would be invited for the second round to test their shorthand skills. The candidates would be provided 800 to 1000 words for typing.
All the details regarding the examination can be found on the official website of SSC.
Books to prepare from
There are several books for the SSC Stenographer exam to prepare from. A few of the most important ones are:
- Quantitative Aptitude by RS Agarwal
- Quicker Mathematics by M. Tyra
- Verbal and Non-verbal reasoning by RS Agarwal
- Analytical Reasoning by MK Pandey
- Word Power Made Easy by Norman Lewis
- Essential English Grammar by Raymond Murphy
- English grammar by Wren & Martin
- Objective General English by Dr. RS Aggarwal and Vikas Aggarwal
- Lucent General Knowledge (Opt for the English edition)
- National newspaper and monthly magazines like Pratiyogita Darpan or Chronicle.
Apart from these books, the candidate can refer to other books for their preparation.
Tips to Crack the SSC Stenographer Exam
Any candidate preparing for SSC Stenographer should follow certain preparation strategies to do well in the exam, including:
- Preparing a proper timetable that divides the entire syllabus; revising and attending mock exams properly before the examination.
- Keeping oneself updated with current affairs and all the latest news from around the world to clear the written examination.
- Reading the national and international newspapers regularly and subscribing to various competitive exam magazines for their preparation.
- Planning effectively so that no part of the syllabus is kept untouched till the last day of the exam, which should ideally be dedicated to revision and mock tests. With BYJU’S Exam Prep, the candidates can register for mock exams, online courses, test series and more to get selected for the exam.
- Focusing on the important topics to score more marks. The candidates should put in more work on their weaker areas so that they can score marks from these sections as well.
- Attempting the topics in the examination which a candidate is comfortable with first, and coming back to attend the other topics later.
- Take proper breaks in between your preparation to relax your mind. This helps relieve the stress and prepare well for the exams.
- Preparing the tricks and methods to remember things that would help a candidate attend the examination effectively and score more marks.
- Not indulging in too many books because it might confuse a candidate and spoil their entire preparation for the exam.
The SSC conducts the Stenographer exam along with other exams for various posts for the ministries across India. The candidates have to clear the written and the skill test to be selected for the job. They need to follow a proper schedule, prepare all the topics in detail, revise them properly before the exam, and attend multiple mock exams to do well in the main examination.
Stay Connect with our education blog for further information.